Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe Review: Frozen Hot Chocolate

Recipe source: Tasty Kitchen's Frozen Hot Chocolate

This is obviously an extremely healthy recipe. Don't judge. It's super chocolatey and delicious. Every sip seemed better than the last.

Special notes: I do not have a double boiler, but I do have glass mixing bowls and saucepans, so I made my own double boiler. I did not have hot chocolate mix on hand, so I substituted cocoa powder. I'm not sure if there is a big taste difference, but I don't care... it was awesome.

Frozen Hot Chocolate
The Haught Lady's Printable Recipe


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 package hot cocoa mix (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
12 ounce can evaporated milk, divided
4+1/2 cups ice
Topping options: Whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips

Directions:

Combine sugar, cocoa mix, and butter in the top of a double boiler that is set over gently boiling water. Stir often until melted and a smooth paste forms. Add semi-sweet & white chocolate chips; stir. When chips begin to melt, slowly stir in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

Combine the chocolate base mixture, the remaining evaporated milk and ice in a blender (you can do this in batches) and cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into frosty glasses. Top with whipped cream, additional chopped chocolate chips & mini marshmallows, if desired.





Sorry, I didn't take any blender pictures! It whipped up super fast and easily. This recipe made a lot (way too much for just 2 people), so I divided the rest up into individual portions and froze them to enjoy on other nights. I just took them out of the freezer before dinner and when it was time for dessert, they were thawed and ready!

I give this recipe an 8 out of 10. It it a good amount of work, but I think it is totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment