Thursday, January 19, 2012

Caesar Salad

Again, I need to give my mom credit for this recipe. Also, my sister Sara, who gave this recipe to me after she received it from our mom and fell in love with it.

My Mom and sister Sara

The great thing about this recipe is that there are easy ingredients that you can always have on hand, so it's a great side anytime! Now, it is delicious, but beware... your breath will be kicking after it. There are a lot of strong, tasty flavors like garlic and vinegar that make it so yummy, but they stay with you for a little while. I personally think it is totally worth it!

Caesar Salad

Caesar Salad
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:
1+1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste (OR 4 anchovy filets, minced)
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces (about 8 cups)
1 cup croutons (purchased or homemade)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Whisk anchovy paste, garlic, mustard, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce in large bowl. Gradually add 1/4 cup olive oil and whisk until thick. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Add lettuce and toss. Add croutons and cheese, toss again. Serve and enjoy!

Chicken Caesar Salad

Notes:
  • You can easily add chicken and it makes a fabulous chicken Caesar salad!
  • I recommend serving it fresh, but it keeps pretty well for 24 hours in an airtight container. You can have any leftovers for lunch the next day or for dinner the following night.
  • Anchovy paste comes in squeezable tube that comes in a small box (like small toothpastes). I find it in the dressing section or canned tuna sections of my grocery stores. It stays good for a while, so you can buy it and keep it in the fridge to make lots of Caesar salads!
  • You don't have to use romaine. I have used green leaf lettuce too and it's fine. I'm sure any kind of crunchy lettuce would be fine... I mean, it's lettuce, right?
Leftovers
Anchovy Paste




4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I agree, a nice easy one to make, and very nice to have with a meal in hot weather, it's summer here in Australia, and we have plenty of salads during this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Glad you like the recipe. Send some warm weather this way... it's chilly in NC, USA. :-) Take care.

      Delete
  2. I feel like Paula Deen. I do make healthy stuff too! But it's nice to be a "celeb" in The Haught Lady blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are a "celeb" on this blog for sure! A lot of my best recipes come from you. :-) Love you Mom!

      Delete