Saturday, January 14, 2012

Movie Reviews

I grew up in a house with an entire wall full of VHS movies, a mother who threw Academy Award parties every year, and an unlimited access to HBO/Showtime/Cinemax... so needless to say, I really enjoy watching movies. I also enjoy making videos, which is probably why I concentrated in Media Production and Critisicm in college, but we'll talk about that another time.

Anyway, since I enjoy watching movies and I seem to watch them a lot, I will be writing reviews on my blog. I will use a 5 star rating scale (listed below) and write a brief description of what I liked or did not like about the film. Now, these movies will not be the latest and greatest out in the theaters because I don't really go to the theaters much these days, so get over it.

The ★ Scale:
★ = Don't waste your time.
★★ = Possibly wasting your time. Your choice.
★★★ = Recommend.
★★★★ = Highly recommend.
★★★★★ = Watch it! Or else.

Here we go...
★★
Red Riding Hood: 2 stars is generous. The hot actors in the movie are the reason for the extra star. I was really hoping this movie would be better, especially since Gary Oldman is in it (which I didn't know until I saw the opening credits), but it was just a disappointment.

★★★
 The Wolfman: This movie was a little long, but I enjoyed it. I really liked how the look of the Wolfman was more "oldschool," and of course, Benicio Del Toro is fantastic. Also, there is a pretty badass fight scene at the end of the film. Oh and Anthony Hopkins is in this movie, nuf said.


★★★
Love & Other Drugs: Holy nudity Batman! If you enjoy excessive nudity and hot sex scenes, this is the film for you! Oh yeah, and there is also a very touching love story. I am a little biased because I can stare at Jake Gyllenhaal running around the screen for 2 hours and be completely happy, but I did think this was a good movie. There was a good balance of the sexy parts and the love story that definitely made me tear up at the end. To sum it up: For the ladies, there is Jake and a beautiful love story. For the dudes, there is Anne Hathaway's boobs... a lot.


★★★★
The Fighter: I am a sucker for movies based on a true story and this one does not disappoint. Underdog + drug use + fighting + family + awesome acting = a great story. Christian Bale and Melissa Leo definitely deserved their Oscars for their performances in this film. There is a clip at the end of the film of the real Dicky and Micky being interview that just goes to show how spot on Bale was in his portrayal of Dicky.

TV Show Review...
★★★★★

Downton Abbey: I am a big fan of period pieces and this has been one of my favorites in a long time. It's a Masterpiece Classic TV show that airs on PBS on Sunday evenings at 9 PM. I just watched the entire first season and I am hooked! The first episode of the second season is available online for a limited time and the rest of the season will be airing on Sundays. The characters, the acting, the costumes, the stories, and the Abbey itself... everything is incredible!

That is it for today! Thanks for taking the time to read my two cents on these movies/TV show. Come back to see more!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment