Friday, January 13, 2012

Sausage, Tomato, and Cream Bowtie Pasta

For my first official post, I have decided to share one of my all time favorite recipes. I have to give my mom credit for this recipe. She made it for me and my sisters back in the day and added her own twists to make it what it is today.

Me and my Mama

This recipe is a family staple that everyone loves! I have yet to meet someone that told me they didn't like it. Below is the recipe, a link to print it, and some notes. I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions!

Sausage, Tomato, and Cream Bowtie Pasta

(Printable Recipe) 

 

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 lb. Mild Italian Sausage (if in casings, just cut open and remove the ground meat mixture from casings)
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 - 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1+1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp Parsley (dried or fresh - use a little more if fresh)
1 - 12 oz pkg Bowtie pasta

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large pan. Brown sausage in pan, then add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are tender (be careful not to burn garlic). Add tomatoes, cream, salt, and red pepper flakes. Simmer while pasta cooks (usually about 12 minutes on most packaged pastas). Then add parsley at last minute. After draining pasta, combine the pasta and cream sauce. Enjoy!

Notes:
  • For a slightly healthier version, substitute evaporated milk for heavy cream. (Warning: if you use regular milk, the sauce may be soupier... still tasty, just more liquid)
  • You can also substitute chicken or turkey sausage for the Italian sausage. Chicken sausage comes in some unique flavors, so just be sure to pick ones that would go along with the rest of the ingredients in this recipe (I use sundried tomato chicken sausage from Harris Teeter)
  • I have never tried this, but I am sure you can make it vegetarian. You could probably just leave out the meat, substitute tofu, or maybe a hearty veggie. Vegetarians: let me know what you think!
Goes great with a caesar salad, garlic bread, and a nice red wine! I have a killer caeser salad dressing too... stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. Bowtie pasta is the fanciest of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha The fancy name is Farfalle, but obviously, I'm not that fancy. Hope you are doing well Josh! Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummy Kimmie! They have soy meats that you could substitute the sausage for a vegetarian option. I think I may have to try this recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete