Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Recipe Review: Crock Pot Pork Loin

Recipe source: Diana's Easy Crock Pot Pork Loin

This is a great recipe! The pork comes our tender and delicious. It also makes enough leftovers to use in a round 2 recipe.

Special note: there is a gravy in the recipe and I made it, but I thought it was way too salty. My husband liked it, but he enjoys the salty foods more than I do. If you want the gravy recipe, check out the original source link. Or you could make any standard brown gravy to go with this pork dish. Otherwise, enjoy what is laid out below...

Crock Pot Pork Loin
The Haught Lady's Printable Pork Loin Recipe

Ingredients:
2.5-3 lb pork loin
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
3/4 cup beef broth
1 (1+1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
salt and pepper

Directions:

  • Trim excess fat off the pork loin to your liking and pat the meat completely dry using a paper towel
  • Add 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and set the heat to medium-high; rub the other tablespoon of oil on the meat and season the meat to your liking with salt and pepper
  • Put the meat in the hot skillet (carefully!) and brown on all sides (about 3-5 minutes per side depending on the heat of your stove); when meat is browned, move it to the crock pot
  • Keep the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium; add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, and garlic to deglaze the skillet (be sure to try and stir up all the yummy bits of meat that may still be in the pan)
  • Top the pork in the crock pot with the onions and onion soup mix, then top everything with the broth mixture
  • Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours (the meat is done when it is easily pulled apart)

My husband could not get enough of this pork. He would snag a bite every time he walked by the platter - I had to put it away so we had leftovers! I give this recipe an 8 out of 10.


Round 2 Idea: Chipotle burrito bowl

People either love or hate Chipotle... I love it! We had all this delicious pork leftover, so I wanted to try a round 2 dish with it. I thought of carnitas and decided to attempt a healthier version of a Chipotle burrito bowl. I won't lay out a specific recipe because this was really a haphazard dish that I just threw together, but below I listed everything I used or had available to give you an idea of the possibilities:

Quinoa (instead of rice), tomatoes, onion, green pepper, avocado, pinto beans, salsa, hot sauce, cheese, sour cream, and the leftover pork... yum.


Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment